The Proposal
Question: Can a Multi-Touch application assist with way-finding in the TTC?
I want to research how an Interactive Multi-Touch screen can assist those who use the TTC to get around Toronto. I want to see if passengers can use it to map out their destinations and if new comers to the city can find it useful for navigation. Also, I want to investigate whether it can help break down communication barriers for those who are from out of the country and don't speak languages commonly spoken in Toronto.
The Need
Living in Toronto, like many people, I use the TTC. I have to rely on the TTC to get me almost every where I want to go. As much as I rely on Toronto's public transportation, I do not know all the routes to take to be me from one place and to the next. I sure many like me, have faced the same problem in trying to map out new routes. While the TTC subway has to be one of the simplest laid oust subway tunnels in the world, for someone coming off that route to venture in to unfamiliar territory, such as the streetcars and buses, it can be a confusing experience in trying to chose which method of transportation next.
While public transportation can be confusing for the average Toronto citizen, if can be more confusing for visitors and new comers. Trying to read the bus routes and make sense of streetcar maps can be hard for someone not use to taking the TTC. And as easy as the subway and clear as the subway map in the subway station, I have been approached by people who can not figure out how to get to the next station.
My goal is to see how a Interactive digital interface can assist people in finding their route using public transportation in Toronto. I want to see if a multi-touch screen, using a graphic system to help users guide their way through the interface, can help them find where they want to go. The idea is similar to the map capabilities of google maps, the TTC interface can provide precise information pertaining to its routes, such as the exact direction each bus, streetcar and bus takes as well as schedule times and even updates such as route changes and delays.
The Audience
The users that my thesis will be addressing are those who use Toronto's public transportation as well as new Canadian citizens, immigrants and even those visiting Canada from other countries. Members of those groups who do not speak or have a hard times with the english language will find Multi-Touch Screen Communication Applications useful to find the information they need and to translate it to their native language.
The Deliverables
The deliverables of this core project could take the form of a small station digital screen with a multi-touch screen. With a multi-touch screen as a interface, the user can use the screen to select what language they are accustomed through the selection of universal graphic marks. They can then chose to set all the information that appears on the screen in their language or have the station speak it to them. Here TTC passengers can use the station to access the desire route the wish to take across the city using public transportation.
The Realization
My research will have to focus on preexisting TTC maps and way finding. I will first have to understand how the TTC guides it's passengers first before I try to improve it with a new way-finding system. I will also have to focus on other way-finding systems, such as how google maps works as mentioned before. Another area to concentrate on would be universal design, as their are many different cultures here that live in Toronto. As mentioned before, the TTC interface would be useful to those visiting Toronto, so universal design would be helpful for anyone who comes from a different cultural background and does not understand the signs, symbols or language currently used by the TTC. The universal design would help me to focus on how to communication with users and develop easy to understand graphics for Multi-Touch screen navigation.
Educational Benefit
The core project will benefit my education by allowing me to explore user interaction, developing graphic marks with universal appeal, how to establish cultural-cimmunication, how to plot easy to follow way-finding navigation and exploring multi-touch screen technology to see how it can applied to new public service.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment